Subject: installation `problems'
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/05/1999 18:35:55
I went through installation of NetBSD/1.4.1 on sparc today...install
could be improved in some of the following areas:

- non-verbose extraction of .tgz files (this slows down the whole machine
  when done on the console);

- better prompting for options - it isn't exactly intuitive that you need
  to enter "all" to install all of the .tgz's;

- if given a mount point for a distribution (i.e. NFS/CDROM install), it
  should search for .tgz's in <mountpoint>/sparc/binary/sets/ before
  asking for the directory (other ports should do the same too);

- when prompting for extra partitions to add mountpoints after it tells
  you sd0a is /, it isn't exactly obvious what the correct response is;

- when responding "yes" to the edit prompts, something on "how to quit"
  should also be returned - I'm not 100% familiar with ed and I'm not
  sure that a lot of people are these days, although they may know Sun-
  sparc gear quite well.

Anyway, that's all for now.  The above has been lodged as a change-request
with gnats.

Darren