Subject: Re: marketing NetBSD to the old SunOS crowd
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/31/1999 18:05:28
> I was looking at the SETI@Home statistics today and noticed a high
> number of SunOS systems participating, and the thought struck me -
> why aren't these people running NetBSD instead?

Speaking as someone who once tried to get a Real-World(tm) site to run
NetBSD instead of SunOS: we're not bug-compatible.  But I don't mean
that in the usual sense.

Specifically, I tried "replacing" a SunOS machine with a NetBSD
machine.  It broke the FlexLM setup on which one of their Real
Applications depended, because the client code wrote a chunk of data on
the order of a couple of hundred bytes, and the server code misbehaved
when it didn't arrive all at once.

Yes, this is a bug in FlexLM (or was - I hear they've fixed this
particular one by now).  But it did mean that one of their critical
applications ran before the change and didn't run after....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca