Subject: Non-working floppy on a 20
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/30/1999 19:41:13
I've recently bought an SS20, which has a floppy drive fitted.  When I try
to access the drive (including `eject floppy`), I get :

  fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (st0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,drv_chck> st1 0 st2 0 cyl 0 head 207 sec 7)

After this, the PROM's `test floppy` fails and I have to reset the machine
before it will pass the test.  The drive probes as :

  fdc0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x700000 level 11 softpri 4: chip 82077
  fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec

If there's no disk in the drive when I try to access it, I also get :

  fd0: timeout: state 7
  fdc: spurious interrupt: state 8, istate=3

I've tried putting a working floppy from an IPC in, but nothing changed.  Any
ideas?

Thanks,

PS.  Running 1.4.1.

--