Subject: Re: sun4/110: kernel panic during netboot
To: Studio Associato Eclipse <eclipse@sirio.iet.unipi.it>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/27/1999 14:51:06
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Studio Associato Eclipse wrote:

> >         Could either of you open a PR on this?
> ... sorry, just for today... i'm leaving (back on holydays :-) this evening...

	Well... maybe when you get back? :)

> >         If youo have a chance you might want to try netbooting a kernel
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot/19990810/binary/kernel/
> >         to see if the problem is still present...
> As far as i can see, it seems (ALMOST) working. No more kernel panic... I
> succeeded (after eliminating  .profile that apparently hung the system) in
> netbooting netbsd -s. The bootphase (transferring and uncompressing,
> i guess) is *much* slower than 1.4, and the running kernel (seems very slow)
> produces a great amount of
>
> ie0: i82586_intr: (almost_a_thousend) spurious interrupts...
>
> I have just the 1.4 tree (old a.out executable format)...  Is this the reason
> why executing many commands causes coredump?

	Hmm - that kernel _should_ have 1.4 a.out compatability enabled,
	so you shouldn't be seeing coredumps. Its quite possible that
	whatever is casuing the 'i82586_intr' warnings is to blame for
	that as well... If you could include the boot messages and errors
	in the PR that would be great!

		David/absolute

	Abandoning a syncing disk... or syncing an abandoned disk?