Subject: Re: sun4/110: kernel panic during netboot
To: Studio Associato Eclipse <eclipse@sirio.iet.unipi.it>
From: Shaw Terwilliger <sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/19/1999 10:35:37
Studio Associato Eclipse wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to revive the sun4/110 i was gifted by a friend of mine...

I have a Sun 4/110 also, using a bwtwo for display.  I'm booting
diskless, with tftpd and NFS root.

> After some black magic experiments (i hadn't configured rpc.bootparamd before,
> and had no manual with me on holidays), i (almost) succeded in netbooting NetBSD
> 1.4 from my linux box.
> Both kernels i have found in the installation directory panic during boot
> (according to my nfsd, just after having opened and read two 8KB chunck of init)
> in this way (this log is from netbsd.GENERIC.gz):

I had the exact same problem... I had tried passing different
files for init (like straight to /bin/sh), but had no luck
getting past that same kernel panic...

My solution:  downgrade to NetBSD 1.3.1.  It works fine, and I'm
running the workstation over NFS to a Linux server.

I've heard 1.4.1 is out, and includes some fixes to the Sun
MM layer that might fix this error, but until I have time to
get that installed, I'll stick with the 1.3 series, which might
be a bit old, but works.

--
Shaw Terwilliger