Subject: Re: services == screwed
To: Michael Jean <cait-sith@home.com>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/17/1999 11:52:28
Hi Michael,

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Michael Jean wrote:
> Well, machines on my lan can get in.. and strangely enough, i've noticed
> that any hosts that can reverse can get in (ie, when syslogd reports
> the incoming host in its reversed form, it lets them in. otherwise, it
> just sits there doing nothing)

Hmmmm... that makes things clear... Do you have a kind of firewall
construction? i.e. do you have a worldwide unique IP number or just a
local one like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x ? In tha latter case the router
that connects your lan to the outside may be a masquerading/nat firewall,
i.e.  it translates your ip/port numbers. If that's the case, the
`problem' is at the firewall since it must be instructed to allow people
to connect to your machine at a different portnumber or allowing people to
logging tru.

Cheers,

Reinoud