Subject: Re: services == screwed
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Michael Jean <cait-sith@home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/16/1999 03:39:52
>Hi Michael,
>
>On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Michael Jean wrote:
>> put my finger on. it seems nobody can use any service on my machine. no
>> matter what port, nobody
>> can get in, EXCEPT my other machine. the netbsd box is.. lets say...
>> 1.2.20.66, and my other machine
>> is, say, 1.2.21.15.. so they change at the class C.. i'm thinking its an
>> authentication problem, tho
>
>This is wierd; my Sun-SLC running NetBSD/sparc (1.4) is accessible to all
>the others around here.... even from Linux :-).

Well, machines on my lan can get in.. and strangely enough, i've noticed
that any hosts that can reverse can get in (ie, when syslogd reports
the incoming host in its reversed form, it lets them in. otherwise, it
just sits there doing nothing)

>But let's have a closer look.... your port-mapper is running isn't it? Or
>do you mean even telnet doesn't work? Or even better, look at
>`hosts.allow' and 'hosts.deny':  maybe you've been to strict on these!

i don't believe portmap is on. and i haven't touched hosts.*

>Cheers,
>
>Reinoud

`mike (now trying to figure out how to add more virtual consoles
in his i386 copy.. hum... mknod... no... hrm... :P)