Subject: Solbourne/kbus update
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: James Garnett <garnett@suod.cs.colorado.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/14/1999 01:21:54
...and meanwhile back in Gotham City, Dave McGuire (mcguire) wrote:
>   I've got a 5/600 (if I'm remembering the number correctly; I'm not where it
> is right now and I don't know much about Solbourne gear) that I'd really like
> to learn more about and maybe run.  So count mine as another voice who'd
> appreciate such work. :-)

I had mentioned digging up an S4000 for this work, which I did, when I
suddenly realized that the S4000 is an sbus machine.  So I'm just going to
stick an extra disk on a running 5/500 seat and try it there -- be the
easiest way to work, anyway, since these things are already happily
running OS/MP-4.1C.

So anyway, it turns out that the old kbus stuff is no longer in the
source tree.  I went poking around in the obsd tree and found copies
still extant; it looks like the support didn't get very far at all, which
would certainly explain why nobody is running it.  The code is over two
years old, so even what is there will take a little pounding, probably,
but at least it is a start.  Actually, a *lot* of pounding: it only even
pretends support for SMD, no SCSI.

Since this doesn't apply specifically to NetBSD-sparc, any followups
should probably be taken offline.

~james