Subject: Re: new snapshot on nbftp
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/12/1999 12:23:03
>> # gzip -d < miniroot-14I.fs.gz | dd of=/dev/rsd0b bs=20b conv=sync

> I think dd mistreats input from a pipe.

I'd phrase it more as "dd is not designed for this" - you really want
something that converts from stream input to blocked output, with
padding.  You can do this with dd ibs=1, but that's grossly
inefficient.

Some versions of dd seem to do this when ibs and obs are used instead
of bs.  But I got fed up with trying to coax dd into doing this on
various systems long ago and wrote catblock for the purpose. :)
(Copies available on request.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca