Subject: NetBSD on Tadpole 3gx update.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, sparcbook-owners@gsp.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/08/1999 21:07:05
(This is going to both port-sparc@netbsd.org and sparcbook-owners@gsp.org)

On June 4th I posted to port-sparc asking about X11 options on the tadpole.
On August 2nd, barely two months later, we have Xsun functioning on NetBSD.

Most of the actual action happened in the last couple weeks, thanks to
Matt Thomas. Whether it was the availability of cheap Tadpoles, or the
posting of tech info by Tadpole, or just the availability of free time,
things are finally moving for Tadpole support on NetBSD. Thanks Matt!

(Thanks also to James Garnett and the BUGO folks for dumping some raw
enthusiasm into the mix...)

How to get NetBSD-sparc onto your Tadpole:

    1. the only stable release available right now is 1.4 or 1.4.1, which
	supports only the text console (no X). available at ftp.netbsd.org
    2. the next stable release will be 1.5 probably late this year, so if
	you can't afford to run non-release stuff, wait for that.
    3. the development release 'netbsd-current' is available but is tricky
	to install at the moment. when I get back from vacation I will work
	on building a clean snapshot plus installer.

I do have a messy snapshot right now which is not exportable from the U.S.
(bleah), but I really have to stop playing with this and get ready for my
trip... (and yes the Tadpole is coming along too)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com