Subject: Re: services == screwed
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Michael Jean <cait-sith@home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/06/1999 06:57:36
>Hi Michael,

hullo Reinoud,

>On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Michael Jean wrote:
>> Well, machines on my lan can get in.. and strangely enough, i've noticed
>> that any hosts that can reverse can get in (ie, when syslogd reports
>> the incoming host in its reversed form, it lets them in. otherwise, it
>> just sits there doing nothing)
>
>Hmmmm... that makes things clear... Do you have a kind of firewall
>construction? i.e. do you have a worldwide unique IP number or just a
>local one like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x ?

it's got a real address into the world via my cablemodem/hub, and there
is no firewalling at all.

> In tha latter case the router
>that connects your lan to the outside may be a masquerading/nat firewall,
>i.e.  it translates your ip/port numbers. If that's the case, the
>`problem' is at the firewall since it must be instructed to allow people
>to connect to your machine at a different portnumber or allowing people to
>logging tru.

no, since it has a real address thats impossible (and the real world gateway
allows things into my other machine, obviously).

i'm really stuck here. sometimes it just stops responding to outside world
pings
as well.. perhaps its the onboard ethernet on the IPC? i'm thinking of
putting
my other IPC bottom on the drive chasis and seeing if it's ethernet works
(it surprised me that the new machine, [the one i'm using now], has rom
revision 2.9, rather late for an IPC.. and lots of setenv's don't work.
hum..)

if only ram was easier to take out of IPCs, huh? :P

>Cheers,
>
>Reinoud

thanks for the suggestions
`mike