Subject: Re: SparcStation 20 CPU-problem
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@hermes.camaronet.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/05/1999 23:08:08
Hi !

> >      U-NUMBER : Suspect Viking Module

> I have a very similar problem with an Axil-325 (sparc-20 clone) though
> it supposedly has a Ross CPU (the actual module says "Sun Microsystems"
> all over it and has a TMX390Z52GF chip onboard) and it says "Suspect
> Ross module" or something very similar after testing the icache.
>
> The machine ran with almost 100% uptime for five years (with a heavily
> patched SunOS-4.1.4) and died at a most inopportune time just a few
> hours before we were about to move the nameserver off of it (which was
> the last production application running on it).

Might be also with this box. I pulled out the power supply and had dust from
about 5 years 24/365 usage on the floor :-) It seems to have had started to
make trouble a bit ago, and now it don't wants to run anymore.

> I've not actually tried to boot the system, but I am sourcing
> replacement CPU modules (we wanted to get a slightly faster one anyway,
> along with more memory and a faster SCSI bus! ;-)

I just got the info from someone else having exactly my problem, that he gave
this box away to have it repaired and they diagnosed a bad mainboard. So CPU
module might be ok. I also thought about mainboard as i saw the error the first
time. (Maybe the chip with those lots of lines to the MBus connector is not
correctly soldered. I'll try a bit more...)

so long.. Michael