Subject: Re: 3gx X NetBSD effort: BUGO Labs
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/31/1999 09:47:17
--=====================_2198725==_.ALT

At 11:08 PM 7/30/99 , Todd Whitesel wrote:
> > The p9100 also has an XFree86 driver, IIRC, so info is available there,
> > too.
>
>Yep. I've already sent what I found to James Garnett (the guy in Boulder, CO
>who has an attachment for the 3gx modem giving probe messages already):

I could of sworn that me who submitted the config file and modem com_obio
attachment.

>The tadpole Xsun expects to see a /dev/weitek0, check out
>         ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/X11R5/README
>
>Note that XFree86 supports the p9000 already but requires the aperture driver
>to be used, check out
>
>         http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/P9000.html
>
>Item 4 on this page mentions that p9100 support is present in the SVGA server,
>but I have no idea how much trouble it will be to get the SVGA server to cope
>with the non-VGA-card SparcBook memory map.

By the end of this weekend, I should have a fb-compatible p9100 driver done
enough so that you can 800x600 with a rasterconsole and with X using the
standard Xsun server.  (I just a few bugs to fix).  This server will be totally
unaccelerated.

I would suggest not using the XFree86 Xsvga server in its current form.
Instead, a separate server should be create since the p9100 on the
Tadpole is *never* in SVGA mode.  In addition there are memory/cache
quirks that the server has to deal with that are not applicable to
the x86.  So I would steal code, but that's about it.
Sunnyvale, CA             Disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message
--=====================_2198725==_.ALT

At 11:08 PM 7/30/99 , Todd Whitesel wrote:<br>
IIRC, so info is available there,<br>
&gt; too.<br>
Yep. I've already sent what I found to James Garnett (the guy in Boulder,
CO<br>
who has an attachment for the 3gx modem giving probe messages
already):</blockquote><br>
I could of sworn that me who submitted the config file and modem
com_obio<br>
attachment.&nbsp; <br>
/dev/weitek0, check out<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><a href="ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/X11R5/README" eudora="autourl">ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/X11R5/README</a><br>
Note that XFree86 supports the p9000 already but requires the aperture
driver<br>
to be used, check out<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><a href="http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/P9000.html" eudora="autourl">http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/P9000.html</a><br>
Item 4 on this page mentions that p9100 support is present in the SVGA
server,<br>
but I have no idea how much trouble it will be to get the SVGA server to
cope<br>
with the non-VGA-card SparcBook memory map.</blockquote><br>
By the end of this weekend, I should have a fb-compatible p9100 driver
done<br>
enough so that you can 800x600 with a rasterconsole and with X using the
standard Xsun server.&nbsp; (I just a few bugs to fix).&nbsp; This server
will be totally <br>
unaccelerated.<br>
I would suggest not using the XFree86 Xsvga server in its current
form.<br>
Instead, a separate server should be create since the p9100 on the<br>
Tadpole is *never* in SVGA mode.&nbsp; In addition there are
memory/cache<br>
quirks that the server has to deal with that are not applicable to<br>
the x86.&nbsp; So I would steal code, but that's about it.<br>
Thomas&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Internet:&nbsp;&nbsp; matt@3am-software.com</div>
URL:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Sunnyvale,
CA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;