Subject: Re: 3gx X NetBSD effort: BUGO Labs
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <myers@iname.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/30/1999 18:56:59
> We have a list: bugo@listbot.com. We are a VERY new group (June 20) which
> is why we dont have a "real list". The  effort is a long term one since
> one of the BUGS didnt get his 3gx (sold out). This leaves Aaron Summers
> and I to work on this we are working from ground zero. No device driver
> writing experience, just determination. Between the both of us we've
> purchased over 300 bux worth of bux=)

I'm sort of in the same boat, as I start to write a driver for the
Parallax XVideo boards.  (I'm lucky, in the sense that Parallax released
the source for its Solaris drivers shortly before going bankrupt.  All
hardware companies should be so helpful.  Karma points to all former
Parallaxers....)

Is there any documentation on the boot-time driver configuration
process?  "Design and Implementation..." had little concrete to say,
though the whole process appears to be mostly driven from the output of
the 'config' command (plus maybe the PROM routines?).  Still, knowing
who calls what when during configuration would be helpful.

All in all, though, I'm encouraged by the apparent simplicity of,
say, the cgsix driver.  Anyone who wishes to spoil my optimism can chime
in here and say, "yeah, but all the hard work is done in the X
server"...

A side note: SparcBook 3GXs are on sale all the time at EBay...
Typically (depending on memory, condition, etc.), they go for between
$500 and $700.

I say this to encourage you guys.  Don't know what your friend expected
to pay, but these seem like pretty good deals.  I've got a SparcBook
too, and although for work purposes it needs Solaris, it longs for the
day it too can run NetBSD...

-David.