Subject: Re: pre- netbsd 1.4.1 build available for testing.
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/1999 21:42:19
>>>>> "matthew" == matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

    matthew> i have a pre-release NetBSD/sparc 1.4.1 binary set
    matthew> available for installation testing, etc. this includes
    matthew> correctly functional floppy installers (both the old
    matthew> installer and sysinst).

    matthew> look at:
    matthew> 	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/incoming/mrg/sparc-1.4.1/
    matthew> please let me know how this goes.

On my IPX the new GENERIC kernel seems to be less 'crashme' sensitive,
but still crashes within several minutes :-(. (Do I have to make a
complete upgrade to get rid of this problem?)

Trying to use the boot floppies (boot-141.fs and syboot-141.fs) ended
in an unexpected way in both ways, I guess (I don't how it should
work! docs!?):

After loading the primary boot block the sysboot version tried to load
'netbsd'. After a failure of doing that a prompt offers to try a
default list of what ever. Pressing Return made it loading netbsd.gz.

boot-141.fs directly loaded netbsd.gz.

Both floppy boots ended at:

  md0: fixed, 3312 blocksdevice_register boot device mismatch
  bootdv = fd0
  altbootdev = NOT FOUND

After pressing return to continue syboot produced an kernel panic, and
ended with a shell prompt without doing/offering anything else.

Markus.