Subject: Re: Cheap Sparc Notebooks
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/19/1999 19:28:06
In article <Pine.NEB.4.05.9907190857001.2227-100000@7thsun.piermont.com>,
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Preston Vega wrote:
>
>> Btw, the syboot NetBSD flop makes an excellent recovery diskette for those
>> with Solaris installed. I was rather impressed. I tried to mount the fs
>> with an obsd diskette and it didnt work. NetBSD flop mounted it even
>> though it needed to be fsck'ed.
>
>Err...is it still the case that you shouldn't fsck, or even mount
>R/W, a solaris partition under NetBSD? Or was it the other way
>around? I understood that one writing the other would mean the
>other could no longer read it, but I forget which direction this
>went in.

Ok. here's the scoop:

Filesystems created with < Solaris-2.7 that do not have ACL's work fine.
If you have ACL's and you fsck under NetBSD, you'll blow your ACL's.
If you don't fsck and you mount under NetBSD, you risk corruption.

Solaris 2.7 also supports journalling. If you have turned this on and you
mount a Solaris-2.7 filesystem under netbsd (I have not tried that), you'll
lose any data that was in the transaction log, plus ACL's, plus other things
that I am not aware of.

christos