Subject: fdc0 causes kernel panic! on boot
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/1999 03:02:29
Hi y'all,

I'm typing to install NetBSD 1.4 on a SPARCstation SLC by netbooting it
from a Acorn RiscPC, also running NetBSD... Since I was stubborn, I
managed to get it to boot the NetBSD kernel before I discovered there was
a `man diskless' (ahum)

But.... it starts OK, until the it probes `fdc0'. The output is :
"
  fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 ipl 11data fault: pc=0xf0157214
  addr=0xffd18000 ser=80<INVAL>
  panic: kernel fault
  halted

  Program terminated
"

Since a SLC doesn't have a floppy.... it's seems fare to fail, but why
panic??? Does it require a kernel flag? I both tried the `netbsd.GENERIC'
and the `netbsd.GENERIC_SCSI3' images.

Any help would be grateful, since I can't build my own kernel yet! (well,
how to install a croscompiling gcc :-+ , and is it desireable ).

Regards,

Reinoud