Subject: f77 and scilab problems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/14/1999 17:30:57
Short version:  maybe a problem with in chain f77 compiler on sparc.

long version:

I've come across a problem with the binary generated by the math/scilab
package.  When I made the package, I tested on several (mac68k, i386,
pmax,sparc,alpha) NetBSD-1.3.x machines and it worked.  I was using f2c
(via f2c-f77) as the fortran compiler.

Since then I've upgraded my machines to NetBSD-1.4 and am having problems.
Under NetBSD-1.4_BETA/i386, scilab works fine using the in tree f77
compiler.

Under NetBSD-1.4/sparc, a few tests cause core dumps when compiled using
the in chain f77 compiler, but passes all tests using f2c-f77 as the
fortran compiler.

I'm a little lost as how to proceed as I know nothing about fortran (and
less about using the debugger).  If anyone has some ideas of how to
proceed or has some time to take a look, I'd appreciate it.  The only
thing I was able to see from the debugger is that the crash happens when
in one of the fortran routines.

I've made a few minor changes to the math/scilab package and placed them
at http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~mcmahill/netbsd/scilab_test.tar.gz
The 'Makefile' replaces the package makefile and there are a couple of
replacement patch files.  Those are only for testing this problem.
Also, there's a replacement 'scilab' shell script which uses the debugger.

To see the problem:

cd /usr/pkgsrc/math/scilab
make build
cd work/scilab-2.4.1/tests
make tests

some of them will fail with a core dump.

To try under the debugger, from the tests directory, fire up the
replacement 'scilab' script and 'run' from the debugger.

Then from the scilab window
exec("bvode.tst")

or whichever of the other couple of tests fail.

Thanks

-Dan