Subject: Re: Boot floppy
To: J. Heinrich <lists+netbsd-sparc@y.ml.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/25/1999 00:43:39
>> And I assume the booted Solaris system uses all three of those
>> partitions (0, 6, and 7)?

> Yup:
[edited -dM]
>   /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0     121847   26571   83096    25%    /
>   /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6     110671   85883   13728    87%    /usr
>   /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7     124735    4169  108096     4%    /export/home

>> Of course, that begs the question of finding that big a chunk of the
>> disk to do this in.
> Would Solaris freak out if I misappropriate s7 (/export/home) for
> NetBSD?

Well, since I note there is so little space used on /export/home that
it would easily fit on /, I'd recommend removing /export/home from
fstab[%], unmounting it, duplicating the stuff from there into the
now-no-longer-hidden-by-the-mount /export/home on the root filesystem
(this may involve remounting /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7 elsewhere).  Then you
can boot the install floppy, newfs /dev/rsd0h, and install NetBSD
without losing the ability to boot Solaris.  You just need to tell the
console code to boot .../sd@3,0:h instead of :a.[$]  You can use the
second partition (c0t3d0s1 and sd0b) for swap for both OSes, of course;
when you're happy with NetBSD, you can either torch Solaris altogether
or continue booting from sd0h by changing the default boot string.

[%] Or moral equivalent - is Solaris the OS that renamed it to
    something else, /etc/vfilesys or some such?

[$] I'm assuming the machine has recent boot ROMs.  The syntax will
    differ for older console code, but the idea is the same: boot from
    partition 7 instead of 0, h instead of a.

I actually note that all three filesystems put together will *almost*
fit in c0t3d0s0.  It might not be impossible to squish it all in there
(for example, if you're willing to tar-and-gzip filesystem subtrees you
don't mind not having direct access to), which would free up a good
deal more space for you to play with.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca