Subject: Re: can't seem to talk to modem...
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/1999 23:53:17
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> I just hooked up a modem to my sparc IPX and am trying to get it going.  I
> don't have anything running yet that should be using the modem.  Wanted to
> start with cu to verify hardware and basic communications to modem.  This
> is what happens:
>
> cowboy-burt# cu --parity=none --line /dev/ttya --speed 9600 --debug all
> cu: open (/dev/ttya): Permission denied
> cu: /dev/ttya: Line in use
>
> cowboy-burt# ls -l /dev/ttya
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  12, 0 Jun 24 16:20 /dev/ttya
>
> cowboy-burt# cat /etc/ttys | grep ttya
> ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
>

> Any ideas?
>
> I used to just do
>
> cu -s 9600 -l /dev/tty00 on my Mac with NetBSD-1.3.
>
> Thanks

cu is setgid dialer and setuid uucp, basically by running it
you loose the ability to open the port :)

For some reason I just can't for the life of me remeber how
to solve this problem....

Also, about it "being in use", I suggest you grab the 'lsof'
source and use that to find whomever is stealing you
serial port from you.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer
    Win Telecom - http://www.wintelcom.net/