Subject: Re: Boot floppy
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: J. Heinrich <j@y.ml.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/1999 19:14:21
On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 10:57:58AM -0700, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	if you could send the exact sequence of commands
> 	you used I can ensure they're added to the sparc FAQ.

Warning:  the following is probably not the most efficient or
correct way to go about this; the only claim I make is that it
Worked For Me on Solaris (SunOS 5.5.1 sun4c):

1.  Insert fresh floppy*

2.  Tell Volume Management to check for a floppy:
      # volcheck -v

    volcheck should respond with "media was found." (note "-v")

3.  Find relevant device name in the Volume Management file system:
      # find /vol/dev/rdiskette0 -type c
      /vol/dev/rdiskette0/unnamed_floppy

    You might see "/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unlabeled_floppy" instead.

4.  Write file to floppy device, using device name obtained in
    previous step:
      # dd if=syboot-14.fs of=/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unnamed_floppy bs=512
      2880+0 records in
      2880+0 records out

* I had problems booting diskettes that had been previously formatted
for use with dos/windows; new diskettes fresh out of the box worked
every time.

> 	You can use the standard 'rawrite' that comes with NetBSD/i386

You're right.  I was hung up on the big vs little endian thing
without thinking that the disk images were probably already in the
right format.

One glitch I see when booting from either boot-14.fs or syboot-14.fs:

  md0: fixed, 3312 blocksdevice_register boot device mismatch
          bootdv=fd0
          altbootdev=NOT FOUND
  RETURN to continue

My nvram is dead, so I "set-defaults" and manually set the ethernet
address and hostid each time I power up (before booting an OS).
Is the above error just fallout from bad configuration? Sysinst
appears to be ok and ready to go.

--
$Id: .signature,v 1.3 1998/03/02 22:18:29 j Exp $