Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4: DHCP setup
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.cdn.telstra.com.au>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/1999 15:46:14
On May 20,  4:10pm, "Simon J. Gerraty" wrote:

     Just catching on old mail...

} DHCP is comming to town... so as an experiment I setup a clean
} 1.4/sparc box (correctly I hope :-).
}
} I enabled dhclient in rc.conf and created a dhclient.conf that
} contained a static lease for the existing setup:
}
} vis:
}
} interface "le0" {
}         send host-name "hobbit";
}         send dhcp-client-identifier 08:00:20:10:1d:55;

    I know this thread has been discussed pretty thoroughly, but, there
is a syntax error in the above line, that nobody else seems to have
caught.  According to the specs, the first byte of the
dhcp-client-identifier parameter is supposed to be a type indicator to
indicate what kind of data follows.  For an ethernet MAC address, the
type is "1", so the above line should read:

	send dhcp-client-identifier 1:8:0:20:10:1d:55;

     While we're on the subject of DHCP, I have a couple questions...
How do you dhcpd to give a client a fixed address based on either the
hostname, or the dhcp-client-identifier (preferably the hostname)?  The
second question is does anybody have any sample scripts that use the
new dhclient-script hooks.  What I want is a script that will execute a
command, anytime the IP address changes.  As you can probably guess,
this is for registering a dynamic address.

}-- End of excerpt from "Simon J. Gerraty"