Subject: bringing up a SS20 with the ELF snapshot
To: 'port-sparc@netbsd.org' <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Buller <buller@nortelnetworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/09/1999 10:36:20
I've got an SS20 under my desk that I thought would look better with NetBSD
on it... 8-)

banner produces:
     SPARCstation 20 (1 x 390Z55), Keyboard Present
     ROM Rev. 2.22, 128 MB memory installed, serial #7769526.
     Ethernet address 8:0:20:76:8d:b6, Host ID: 72768db6

the miniroot in the 19990605.ELF snapshot directory boots just fine, but
most of the programs produce a core file as they exit.  I got all the base,
etc, and kern tar files uncompressed and installed on sd0, but I can't get
the boot blocks to install and read /boot on /dev/sd0a.  They always load
the miniroot image on /dev/sd0b.

I tried using the miniroot from the 1.4 release, but it does the same thing.
Could the machine become usable with some other magic incantation?  Should I
be doing something other than "/usr/mdec/installboot -v -a sun4m /mnt/boot
/usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rds0a"?  (that's from memory, the command and results
have scrolled off the monitor with the 1.4 miniroot bus errors and seg fault
messages.)

Help would be appreciated, and please carbon this address on replies,  I'm
not subscribed from my work address, and it might take a long time if I have
to add a 12-24 hour turnaround time on every message.

Jon Buller
MGC Base & Platform Development
+1 972 684 2593 (ESN 444-2593)
buller@nortelnetworks.com