Subject: Re: killing Solaris 2.5.1 with NetBSD-1.4 on an LX
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/27/1999 22:41:55
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> wrote:

>    First, a tiny nit. The install program inside miniroot-14.fs.gz
>    said it was 1.3.3.  Next, I had my *.tgz files in my Solaris /var/tmp
>
> that's strange. :-)

"There's nothing to see here...  These aren't the droids you're
interested in...  Move along..." (To vaugely quote an old movie
back in promenince again.) 8-)

>    directory.  This appears to have interesting repercussions...
>    Telling the install program that you have the files there causes
>    the partition to be mounted rw.  This clobbers the Solaris partition.
>
> yes, i've not seen it happen myself but i've heard that this
> happens.  i'm very careful to mount solaris ufs partitions
> read only under NetBSD...
>
> install programs should probably mount these partitions read-only
> by default anyway if they are only being read from..

We might want to add some big warning signs around this in the install
docs...

>    things were going well, until I hit return after typing "root" and
>    got:
>
>    /usr/libexec/ld.so: login: libkrb.so.2.0: No such file or directory
>
> for the secr lossage, how did you get a 'secr' login without
> having the 'secr.tgz' file in the first place ?  seems that
> either only part of it has been installed, or there is some
> other shared library lossage... is libkrb.so.2.0 in /usr/lib?
> where did /usr/bin/login come from ?

Um, well, I got them a couple of days ago from
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/sparc/...  However, just
logging into ftp.netbsd.org, I see that the files are dated May 9,
and the ones on my disk are Apr 22 and Apr 23.  That would be from
the beta period, when I was going to try this out, but didn't have
a miniroot...  (And also decided that possibly losing the console
to my PC532 just before I might need to make last minute changes
to the USENIX CD images might not be the best idea... 8-)

(Please wait while "find / -name base.tgz" tells me if I got the
new ones in the wrong directory...)  OK, never mind, I got the
BETAs left over on my disk.  I'm assuming that getting the real
1.4 images will improve the situation, correct?

Jon