Subject: Re: Excessive Collisions Messages on CDE screen
To: Graham Jenkins <c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/1999 13:41:41
Graham Jenkins wrote:

> The problem I am seeing (on Sparc machines only - not I386's) running
> both 1.3.3 and 1.4 - is that we get 'excessive collisions ..' messages
> blasting through on the CDE screen.
>
> I have tried to address this by commenting out the '/dev/console' line
> in /etc/syslog.conf - but it hasn't worked.  (Why ??)
>
> What I probably need to do is change the 'X -query ..' command above so
> that it starts a local 'xconsole' window.  But so far I haven't made
> this work.
>
> This is something I need to resolve urgently. Suggestions please ..  G.

If you're compiling your own kernels, it may be easier to just comment
out or delete the printf() around like 365 of src/sys/dev/ic/am7990.c
(assuming it's an le0 that's generating the messages).  People will
argue that these messages mean something is wrong with the network, but
I see them all the time and the NetBSD machines are the only ones to
complain.

Simon.

ps: Graham - I've got some intermittent problems with mail to you
    bouncing lately...