Subject: Excessive Collisions Messages on CDE screen
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Graham Jenkins <c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/1999 12:53:52
I am using a number of ancient Sparc machines as Xterminals, with user
selecting from a menu which hostname to feed into the command:
  X -query $hostname -once

The selected host then, in general, brings up CDE after login, and the
users can do what they wish on that host.

The problem I am seeing (on Sparc machines only - not I386's) running
both 1.3.3 and 1.4 - is that we get 'excessive collisions ..' messages
blasting through on the CDE screen.

I have tried to address this by commenting out the '/dev/console' line
in /etc/syslog.conf - but it hasn't worked.  (Why ??)

What I probably need to do is change the 'X -query ..' command above so
that it starts a local 'xconsole' window.  But so far I haven't made
this work.

This is something I need to resolve urgently. Suggestions please ..  G.