Subject: le0: dropping chained buffer
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/13/1999 23:10:55
                                            Makoto Fujiwara
                                            Chiba Japan
I have two NetBSD/sparc, one SS-10, the other SS-2 both running
1.4_BETA.

 Those two are connected to the same hub and those two are the
only Unix machines on that HUB. Then, I am having
le0: dropping chained buffer
on both console. The frequency is roughly about 5  lines in 10
minutes

  Two machines once located different location, say, the different
hub, and after moved to another building the messages started to
appear.  The new (problematic) network has several Windows NT
machines + Macintosh, while at previous network some Sun Solaris
machines are connected. The make of HUB may be different.

  Could anybody tell me where and how to check ?

  It seems to me, the problem is not serious, except dmesg wiped
out by excessive console lines. Honestly speaking I have another
NFS problem which I will write separately, but this NFS problem
existed at old network either. So I don't think NFS problem and
dropping-chained-buffer problem are related.

One more, I have upgraded to 1.4_BETA after I moved. 1.3.3 also
has dropping-chained-buffer problem.

time goes --->

old location -------
new location        ------------------

so problem is location dependent and version independent.

Or does this mean just too much crowded network I am at ?
( I did not checked netstat -s yet. I will do that tomorrow.)
---
(Makoto Fujiwara)