Subject: Re: architecture specific kernels for sun4, sun4c, sun4m
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/06/1999 21:32:04
On Thu, 6 May 1999, Erik E. Fair wrote:

# I had a thought about the next release of NetBSD/sparc: I think we ought to
# provide SUN4, SUN4C, SUN4M kernels in addition to GENERIC in the release.
# It's a terrific achievement that NetBSD has one GENERIC kernel where it
# otherwise might have three (or four if we ever get around to sun4d), but
# that comes at an overhead cost for critical path code, plus code space
# taken up by drivers that do not exist. My concern is that removing this
# overhead means compiling a system-specific kernel, and I'm not sure the
# average NetBSD/sparc user is doing that. That's why I think we should
# provide a canned solution.

Why not just provide a way for the kernel to unload some baggage,
maybe make the GENERIC kernel do mostly lkms?

#
# Comments?
#
# 	Erik <fair@clock.org>