Subject: architecture specific kernels for sun4, sun4c, sun4m
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/06/1999 13:59:13
I had a thought about the next release of NetBSD/sparc: I think we ought to
provide SUN4, SUN4C, SUN4M kernels in addition to GENERIC in the release.
It's a terrific achievement that NetBSD has one GENERIC kernel where it
otherwise might have three (or four if we ever get around to sun4d), but
that comes at an overhead cost for critical path code, plus code space
taken up by drivers that do not exist. My concern is that removing this
overhead means compiling a system-specific kernel, and I'm not sure the
average NetBSD/sparc user is doing that. That's why I think we should
provide a canned solution.

Comments?

	Erik <fair@clock.org>