Subject: Re: strange console scrolls
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/1999 19:30:08
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

#
# Hi,
# I'm the happy (? :) owner of an IPX since yesterday evening. I installed

Welcome to the IPXBSD club!

# the 1.4_BETA snapshot on it and noticed a strance thing with the console
# framebuffer:
# when exiting vi (and I've seen this with the install script too), the display
# scrolls back for a few seconds a lot of garbage. There is garbage in the
# non-text portion of the screen as well (this place which is left with the
# grey X root when you hit stop-A while running X and scrolls some lines).
# Typing 'clear' gives me back a clean white screen. And yes, I have
# TERM=sun in my environement.

It's a known condition.  Mine's been doing it since day one.

Unrelated:
Do things print out quickly or slowly (~4800 baud)?  I have a cure for
the latter for anyone running on OBP v2 or better.

# Did someone else notice this ? I didn't notice it on my IPC, but it's not
# the same framebuffer (the IPX has a cgsix0, where the IPC has a bwtwo, if I
# remember properly).

I think it's a peculiarity of the on-board cgsix.

#
# --
# Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
# --