Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4-beta vs SS2 and SS5
To: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Scott Bethke <kbethke@ezy.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/30/1999 16:07:04
At 02:53 PM 4/30/99 -0500, Paul B Dokas wrote:
>Ok, so the SS2 is a lose.  So I go over to the SS5 that currently has
>Solaris7 (which barely fits on the 500MB drive).   Pull down the latest
>miniroot, slap it into the swap partiton and boot off of it.
>
>It loads the kernel, shows all of the usual boot messages and then hangs
>at the point where init should be forked off.  Ouch (again).

FWIW We run it on several SS20's, SM81 processors, 256Megs Ram and using
the above setup sequence it works..  typical time from start to finish for
install is somewhere on the order of 8 minutes.  And we've yet to see it crash.

>Anyone help me figure out what's going on?  My guess is that everyone
>installs their Sparcs via the network and the miniroot and floppies just
>don't work anymore.

Ive never done a floppy install since the miniroot option works so well.

-Scott