Subject: NetBSD-1.4-beta vs SS2 and SS5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/30/1999 14:53:52
I downloaded the bootfs for NetBSD-1.4-beta, slapped it onto a floppy
and attempted to install an old SparcStation 2 with it.  It boots fine,
loads the kernel and comes into the '(I)nstall (U)pdate...' prompt.

Good.  I choose 'i' to install the box, and 'y'es , I'd like to continue
with the install.  And then it starts complaining bitterly about not
being able to find commands like grep, cat, etc...

So I drop back to the shell, with a few '^c's and do an 'ls -la'.   Hmmm,
no /netbsd for install to use...  Ouch.

Ok, so the SS2 is a lose.  So I go over to the SS5 that currently has
Solaris7 (which barely fits on the 500MB drive).   Pull down the latest
miniroot, slap it into the swap partiton and boot off of it.

It loads the kernel, shows all of the usual boot messages and then hangs
at the point where init should be forked off.  Ouch (again).

Anyone help me figure out what's going on?  My guess is that everyone
installs their Sparcs via the network and the miniroot and floppies just
don't work anymore.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."