Subject: Re: need help installing NetBSD on IPX
To: None <zu22@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Graham Jenkins <c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/1999 11:54:39
> I have a Sun SPARCstation 4/50 (IPX - sun4c) which has a floppy disk drive
> but no cd-rom. I would like to install NetBSD on it. I checked the INSTALL
> notes from ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.3/sparc/INSTALL but
> it only mentioned installing from either NFS, FTP or by tape.

If you have access to another UNIX box, then the net-boot procedure will
let you boot - then you can use either FTP or NFS.

If you already have SunOS or something similar on the box, you can do an
FTP transfer of the boot image, then copy it to swap space in single-user
mode and boot that way for installation.

I have done it both these ways without too much trauma.

If you really want to boot from floppy, you could try Linux for Sparc, either
from Debian via the Net, or from RedHat.

Best wishes ..