Subject: Re: how to turn off the keyboard abort on break?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/20/1999 14:49:55
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, John P. Refling wrote:
>
> > What if I want the break to be ignored?  Is there an
> > option elsewhere for that?
>
> Not at the moment. It's hard to think why you would want to do
> this, since not beable able to abort the OS with a break removes
> one of the big reasons for having a console in the first place,
> IMHO. :-) But on the other hand, I've heard enough complaints about
> this sort of thing to believe that, if someone made patches for
> such an option and submitted them as a PR, they'd be accepted. I
> really think you'd just want to be able to turn off the abort via
> the tty driver, though, as disabling L1-A doesn't provide much
> protection; if they've got access to a keyboard, they've got access
> to the power as well.

We've had changes in port-mac68k to ignore serial console abort for quite
a while. It's reasonable for a number of machines where we don't support
ADB (i.e. we don't support the keyboard). With abort disabled, then you
can use another mac as a serial console, and turn it off at night w/o
halting the NetBSD mac.

I think a syscall would be in order. :-)

Take care,

Bill