Subject: re: Modification To CD-ROM Device Driver (To Read Partition Tables)
To: Rob Ginn <rob@olg.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/1999 13:21:44
hi rob.

i have some patches floating around to me scsipi/cd.c to make it use
readdisklabel() to get the real disklabel on the disk... the problem
was, that then i wasn't able to mount the real partitions there as
now the types didn't match, or something... it was a while ago.

    Install CD's for Sparc run much faster (at _least_ 5x faster) and can be
       run with a simple "boot cdrom" command at the BIOS.  It is even
       comfortable now to run the whole thing off the CD as an emergency disc.

"boot cdrom" isn't broken.  at least, it wasn't last i tried it when i
was doing the bootable sparc cdrom stuff.  do you know why is it faster?
that is interesting...

    The boot image on the end of the disc is no longer a "throw-away".  My
       install CD's now have an ISO image with the tarballs followed by a
       copy of the miniroot (FFS) which is actually executed (instead of a
       copy of the miniroot data on the ISO partition being used).  I did
       have to re-write the mkbootcd program, but that didn't take long.

i don't really understand this...

   If there is no heartburn, I'll submit the change request with the diffs
   (or email it if that's simpler).

send-pr is the best way.