Subject: Re: Netbooting an Ultra/1
To: None <Curt.Sampson@wdr.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/1999 13:17:22
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 Curt.Sampson@wdr.com wrote:

>      I have beneath my desk an Ultra 1 (well, an 'Ultra Enterprise 1,'
>      actually; is there a difference?) that's just waiting to run NetBSD.
>      It has no OS on it at the moment, and I'd like to save the pain of
>      installing solaris only to take it off again. When I try to netboot it
>      using ofwboot.net from the 1999-01-04 snapshot, it gives me the
>      following:
>
>      14a00 >> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision
>      >> (eeh@nonplus.one-o.com, Tue Jan 12 19:18:31 PST 1999)
>      open /sbus@1f,0/ledma@e,8400010/le@e,8c00000/netbsd: Inappropraite
>      file type or format
>      Boot:
>
>      Note that after the end of the TFTP transfer, I see no more packets on
>      the wire. What's it looking for here?

Don't know.  I don't have the equipment available to test out netbooting.
I just compiled a version of ofwboot with the NFS stuff turned on
thinking it might be useful to someone.

You can try loading the kernel directly since the OBP should be able to
handle ELF executables natively.

> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
> of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
> verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
> related financial instruments.

Hm... That's interesting information. 8^)

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me