Subject: Re: reconfirm- Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/1999 11:59:24
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:31:56 -0700 (PWT)
 Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

 > Oh. Well- I'm hoping for compiler assist here. This is code that lives in
 > other than NetBSD. So- my question is still: will NetBSD sparc64's
 > compiler generate __sparc__ as well as __sparcv9__? Or is this just too
 > broken for NetBSD and I'll figure out a better way to do this? Perhaps I
 > should- based upon inclusion of some SBus header file that generate a
 > define- I mean, it's really an optimization to not have to do the swizzle
 > check for platforms/instances that can't possibly be SBus instances.

Um... "I don't know... you could always look at the compiler sources."

The problem is that if we ever support a non-Sbus embedded SPARC v9 (which
exist!), then your __sparcv9__ or whatever test for Sbus fails.

It's not an issue of being "broken" in NetBSD.  We just have a very
specific way of testing for $MACHINE in kernel builds, which has been
that way basically forever.

I've told you how it's done, how other things in our tree do it, etc.  If
it's really a problem for you, then hey, how about:

#if defined(__NetBSD__) && (defined(sparc) || defined(sparc64))
/* Sbus stuff */
#endif

"What's the big deal?"