Subject: Re: reconfirm- Re: CVS commit: src
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/1999 11:05:17
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> It's not the registers here but the IOCBs. Without doing the complete
> ddi_{put,get} foop that Solaris does (which might be nice to have but
> isn't there now), the existing machines seem to boil down to only needing
> to swizzle a couple of fields (target/lun and the IOCB header fields) for
> initiator mode if the card in question is an SBus card (this is after
> having run around with a variant solaris driver for Veritas that manages
> SBus, PCI, Sparc, Intel, SCSI, FC, simultaneous target/initiator, all in
> one package).

I'll need to think a bit about this one.  In theory DVMA mapped pages
could also be mapped little-endian for PCI devices, at least in the case
of the IOCBs, so once again this could be made transparent as long as
these fields are only accessed 16-bits at a time.  Endianness gets really
complicated when put into practice 8^).

> I've been wondering whether the E10K's could do pci && sbus at the same
> time. You seem to indicate so. There's a runtime determinant in the

Actually E3K, E4K, E5K, and E6Ks can have both SBus and PCI ISP
controllers on them at the same time.  The PCI I/O boards come with a
built-in ISP1040, but the only `supported' way to connect an A3000 to an
E4000 is with an ISP1000.

> existing isp driver here that sez whether the card is SBus or PCI- the
> only thing I was doing with the #ifdef was trying to not compile in that
> test code for machines that can't possibly have an SBus (e.g., i386). I
> was using __sparc__. Jason made reference to "sparc or sparc64" and I was
> just trying to figure out from all of this whether __sparc__ would be
> sufficient for all NetBSD sparc compilers so I wouldn't have to have sparc
> or sparc64 as defines.

Probably want to use MACHINE == sparc or MACHINE == sparc64 since that's
what you get in the kernel.  I wouldn't count on anything that isn't
explicitly defined by the makefile or some header file since that can
change if a different compiler is used.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me