Subject: using keyboard port as serial interface?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Maciolek <mikem@leftbank.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/24/1999 19:43:41
A typical Sparc has two zs devices, each with two serial ports.

One of the zs devices is used to manage the keyboard and mouse;
the other handles serial ports A and B.

If I'm running my system without a Sun keyboard/mouse and monitor,
and I'm using serial port A as the console, is there a way to make
use of those other serial ports normally dedicated to Sun keyboard
and mouse?

Ideally, I'd like to put the system console (which only needs to
run at 9600 baud or so) on one of the keyboard ZS devices...that
way I can leave serial ports A and B available for applications
which require full RS232 signaling.

Anyone ever done anything like this?  I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks!

	- Michael Maciolek