Subject: Re: shrinking the supported devices list?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/19/1999 23:58:49
> I'm happy to plug whatever hardware I can into whatever devices are
> compatible with said hardware into the buildlab machines...

I was hoping that some of those old sun4 parts would find their way
into the build lab (or otherwise made available for testing).

Anyway, I re-animated the `ie' driver on 4/470 in Sweden (thanks Ragge)
but that class of machine has other features that prevent the on-board
ether chip from working: it suffers from DMA underruns has I've
reported before. This might or might not be related to the presence
of an IO cache on this machine. Someone know the answer to the following?

	- can the on-board ethernet device actually operate correctly
	  without the IO cache being enabled?

	- exactly how does the IO cache work; what is needed to support
	  it in the `ie' driver, in VME drivers and maybe even in
	  yet other drivers?

-pk