Subject: si_dma_start errors.... what do they mean?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/18/1999 13:59:08
I got the sun 4 sparc port up, sort of, on my 4/260 crate.  It runs
seemingly fine on low-load operations like on the console, or where
disk i/o or tape i/o is minimal.  However, under load it generates
hundreds of ``si_dma_start: somethingorotherbyte somethingorothervalue''
where the byte and values appear to be related to buffer pointers or
values maybe(?).  I sense timing is off somewhere.  Anyone know what
that si_dma_start message is all about, and what to look at to try to
fix it?  It seems to not be doing any damage, almost as if the controller
was not keeping up with the cpu (due to maybe HD slowness or such), and
then it tries again, and again, until it gets the right bits going,
then a while later it happens again, and again, and again.

Any insights are appreciated.

Almost there on the dinosaur.....

Bob Keys