Subject: uk0, scsi and default sparc kernel
To: <>
From: John P. Refling <nbsdps@earth.lbl.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/17/1999 15:40:13
----------

HI.  I added the uk* and ss* options from the i386 kernel
to the sparc kernel and recompiled.  The kernel compiled fine
but failed with a "bad format" at load.

Later, I moved the uk* and ss* to the absolute last lines in
the config file, rebuilt from scratch (deleted all old results)
and it WORKED!

Yeah, O' Yeah.

But my question:  is it reasonable that the ordering of these
things is so critical, especially when the kernel compiles
without errors, but fails?

A related question:  it is strange that the default kernels
on different platforms are configured so differently.  Has
there been discussion on standardising this.  For example,
i386 has uk* and ss* in the generic kernel, while sparc
(which pretty much always has scsi controllers buit in)
doesn't have these scsi optional devices in the generic
kernel.

Just wondering.