Subject: Re: bootxx proto don't know ELF...
To: None <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
From: Allen Wittenauer <allenw@iobm.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/1999 08:52:48
> Is anyone successfully booting a NetBSD-current kernel (3/6/99)?

Yes.

> How are we supposed to boot -current ELF kernels if we can't
> replace bootxx with an ELF-aware version?

You didn't ask what format the kernel was in though... *heh*

> Or am I missing something???

pk is still working on that part of the build process yet.  When the ELF
snapshot came out, Paul mentioned that you still couldn't use it to build a
kernel yet (with the reason why being left as an exercise for the reader, as
Casper Dik likes to say)...and now you found the reason why. =) [Other than
that, the ELF system appears to be working perfectly.  Granted, my ELF machine
sans kernel/booter is _completely_ ELF w/out any a.out emulation running.]

To build a kernel, you'll still need an a.out machine.  I haven't tried setting
the OBJECT_FMT flags, though.  So that might work.

For your Voyager, you probably better stick with a.out on it and wait for the
bootxx issues to be dealt with.