Subject: bootxx proto don't know ELF...
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/1999 07:56:36
Is anyone successfully booting a NetBSD-current kernel (3/6/99)?
I've used the miniroot-133.fs to boot and then install the 19990228.ELF
snapshot.  The big problem is that the second-stage boot proto (bootxx) that
was previously installed can only load a.out kernels.  Otherwise, it says
"Invalid format" upon boot.  This happens if I build a NetBSD-current kernel,
which is obviously an ELF binary, not a.out format.  OK, so the logical thing
to do is to "installboot" newer versions of /boot and bootxx, which I can
build in /sys/arch/sparc/stand of NetBSD-current.
Or can I?  Everything builds successfully, *except* bootxx, which is what I
really need to boot an ELF kernel.  If I satisfy the dependencies for the
symbols that bootxx fails to find when it tries to link, then bootxx ends
up being TOO BIG and installboot fails with a "boot table" error.
What gives?  How are we supposed to boot -current ELF kernels if we can't
replace bootxx with an ELF-aware version?  Or am I missing something???
I'd like to get -current going so I can help debug the new pcmcia support
for my Voyager.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.  I'm rather frustrated at the moment.

-Mark Abene

P.S.: the kernel that comes with 19990228.ELF snapshot is an a.out binary.
How was it generated?  The compiler tools in this snapshot are ELF!
Puzzled...