Subject: Re: Tape boot work
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/10/1999 08:17:29
Bob Keys wrote:
> Well, it takes forever to test on bootup with 32M.  Anyway, if
> the ram wont conflict with the swap size, then I will stuff the
> memory boards in.

The easy way - when it's running NetBSD (or SunOS), run :

	eeprom "selftest-#megs=1"

That will set the eeprom to only test the fisrt 1 meg on bootup.

You can also do it from the monitor using the 'q <eeprom_offset> <action>'
command (I'm just looking at the SunOS 4.1.1 Release and Install book).
Unfortunately the documentation is a little sketchy - it doesn't tell you
which parameters are at which offsets.  It implies that 'q <eeprom_offset>'
is used to just display the parameters.

'/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/include/eeprom.h' says that offset 0x14 has
InstalledMem and MemTestSize - both 8 bits wide.  Maybe offset 0x15 for
the 'q' command at the monitor?  For the action, the docs say 'A hexidecimal
action argument assigns the value you supply ...'.  So, I'd guess :

	q 0x15

will display the 'selftest-#megs' value and :

	q 0x15 0x1

will set it to 1 meg.

Also, I seem to remember that you can interrupt the memory test process with
<L1>-<A> (or <break> if you have a serial console).  When you then ask it to
boot, it will only initialise the memory and not test it.

          NetBSD - the most widely ported operating system available