Subject: Re: Tape boot work
To: matthew green <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu, mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/09/1999 10:34:28
...so turn off the memory test.  I think there's a way to do this.
What kind of prom monitor have you, a ">"-prompt only, or do you have an
openboot prompt ("ok ") possible?

[I suspect the former, but I'm asking to be certain...]

If the former, there are some memory locations you can tweak (I THINK)
in which the memtest can be skipped.  If the latter, you can type 'n'
to get an "ok " prompt (at which point you should IMMEDIATELY type
setenv sunmon-compat? false
), and you can say "setenv selftest-#megs 1" if you really want to bypass
the memory test.

Unfortunately the >-prompt commands are mostly lost to me; all I remember
are k2 (hard reset), b(oot), c(ontinue), q (set eeprom values).

A sun4 CPU Hardware Manual would _really_ help you here.

				--*greywolf;
--
System V Release 4 /MIS tem FIVE re LEES FORE/ n. 1.  An operating system so
hideously huge, bloated and driven by marketing rather than performance or