Subject: Tape boot work
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/09/1999 10:33:42
OK, I am downloading the 1.3.3 sources, and will try my hand at rolling
a tapeboot system for it.  Last night I was able to get enough of the
1.3.3 sparc build up and running on the old VME 4/260 crate that it
might work (combining sunos boots, manual dd's of the miniroot to swap,
and ftp install of the rest from a second machine.... where there is a
will some way will be found....(:+{{.....).

My dinosaur sparc has the following configuration.....

4/260 cpu, 16M ram, drv0(boot3)=240mb, drv1=669mb, drv2=669mb.

I was planning on hanging drv1 on /usr/local, and drv2 on /home.
If I want to play the source tree bit, I should probably hang drv1
on /usr/src instead, to get enough room to build?

I have two more ram boards that I could put in, but would rather work
with the 16mb configuration as opposed to a 32mb ram configuration,
if possible, since the swap size on drv0 is only 20mb.  Will that be
sufficient for a singleuser compile of the kernel and the tapeboot
bits?

Any suggestions so I don't run out of build space are appreciated.

Thanks