Subject: Re: Is Sun4 (VMEbus) support any better now? Mee Too?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/09/1999 09:53:16

> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Harald Barth wrote:
>
> > #   segment 0:  tapeboot
> > #   segment 1:  netbsd.sun3  (RAMDISK3)
> > #   segment 2:  netbsd.sun3x (RAMDISK3X)
> > #   segment 3:  miniroot image
>
> Right. We obviously need only one image, as all Sparc systems can
> use the same kernel. (The 3 and 3x used different kernels in 1.3.)

I hope so.  My early sparc is a tad strange, although I did manage
to get the 1.3.3 up on it the hard way, last night, by mixing
sun and netbsd tapes.

> > I have not found any evidence how to build the tapeboot.
>
> For the Sun 3, it's in src/sys/arch/sun3/stand/tapeboot. We don't
> have a tapeboot for sparc at the moment, and getting this put
> together is probably the hardest part, though I don't think it
> should be that hard. I'd copy the sun3 stuff and work from there,
> and ask Sparc experts here if you get into trouble. :-)

I am game, too. Is this available as a tarball separate somewhere,
or can I get it from the ftp.netbsd.org tree somewhere?  I will
try porting it on the sparc machine I have up (assuming it stays up).

Since the tapeboot is a standalone program, can it be made on sunos
on the sparc?

> > What is a good kernel config for this? Enable SUN4 in
> > /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf/INSTALL.
>
> Yeah, I'd suggest that. Leave the others enabled, too, though;
> might as well make the boot tape work on as many systems as possible.

SUN4 should be good.

I will try playing with the tapeboot.  Alas, I am not guru enough to
do a ramdisk kernel or such yet.  Would the tapeboot be working OK
if it would load the sunos kernel correctly?

I am looking at the tapeboot code.....

1.  It calls 4 dd images, 1) tapeboot
                          2) netbsd.sun3 (RAMDISK3)
                          3) netbsd.sun3x (RAMDISK3X)
                          4) miniroot image

On the sparc, 2 or 3 would be needed and not both.
The miniroot already exists.

Thus, if I am interpreting things correctly, all we need is the
tapeboot, and the ramdisk image.  Does a suitable ramdisk image
currently exist, or can someone compile one?

Thanks

Bob Keys