Subject: Re: Is Sun4 (VMEbus) support any better now? Mee Too?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/08/1999 18:23:03

> On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:
>
> > We still need a sparc tapeboot of some kind.
>
> Problem is, this needs to be done by someone who has a sparc with
> a tape drive. I can think of only one candidate at the moment. :-)

Well, I would make a stab at it if I knew what to do.  But, it means
I have to get the system up in the first place.  Kindof catch22.

> (Actually, I have a SCSI QIC-150 drive I might be able to attach
> to a sparc somehow at some point, but that's on the other side of
> the continent from me at the moment, so I won't be getting to it
> any time soon.)

I have a sparc (ss1) that I am putting together.  It will have an
external 150mb tape by tonight.  IFF it is possible to roll the
tapeboot from sources on a sunos 4.1.3U1 machine, and IFF the
existing kernel will really work on the sun4 tape drive (it is
where I was having problems to date), I would offer to roll it.

I need to know what sources from where and how to roll them if
anything stranger than a usual make is required.   The tapeboot
is pretty simple, so it might work.  If all else fails, I could
use the sunos tapeboot on a temporary tape and then use that
to roll the kernel on the sun4.  I have not gotten netbooting
to work yet (my stupidity).  I have some cobbled together scripts
from the sun3 port that I was using to roll the test tapes so far.
They sort of work.  Mebbie it will all magically fall together.....

Bob