Subject: re: The lizard is caged
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1999 19:15:46

   > The interesting thing about installing NetBSD/sparc is that it
   > [almost] depends on a SunOS 4.x disklabel.  I had to label my disk with
   > OpenBSD's install program.

there should be no reason to use anything not in the install.

   	I think the principle is that you need a Sun disklabel for the
   	PROM to boot. The NetBSD disklabel program should be able to
   	setup the label. -current (and 1.4) should be using the machine
   	independent sysinst program which makes this a lot easier.

the NetBSD disklabel tells the kernel to write a disklabel and
the kernel knows to write it as a Sun one.

as far as sysinst goes, i ported it to the SPARC, but i did not
enable using it (indeed, i went _back_ to the old tools) as sysinst
is not ready for prime time, IMO.  i find it's disklabelling tool
to be extremely cumbersome and annoying to use (to the point that
i can't stand it), and when it breaks there's little knowledge
about what goes on (though this has been fixed recently).

personally, i don't want sysinst the default installer for 1.4/sparc.

.mrg.